Photo Credit: http://dineanddish.net
Belgian Cookie Dough Waffles with Chocolate Whipped Cream
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon milk or cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled heavy cream, divided
- To prepare the cookie dough, beat together butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and milk. Add salt and flour and mix until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate until ready to cook waffles.
- To make waffles, sift together four, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs. Whisk in buttermilk, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Preheat waffle maker and lightly spray with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil. Ladle a heaping 1/2 cup of batter onto iron and quickly drop 6 to 7 marble size balls of cookie dough on top. Close lid and cook according to manufacturer’s directions, until golden brown and toasted.
- For the whipped cream: whisk powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and 2 tablespoons of the heavy cream in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth. Using the whisk attachment, gradually beat the remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream into the mixture. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon onto warm waffles and serve immediately.